List of Documents Required for Deemed Conveyance

Further, the application required to be made with the Registrar shall be accompanied by copies of certain 20 odd documents which the society shall have to prepare or get prepared.

The papers required for doing Deemed Conveyance are as follows:
o Application Form 7 to the District Deputy Registrar, Co-operative Societies, affixing a court fee stamp of Rs 2,000 on the application
o Affidavit made before the Notary or Executive Magistrate True copy of the Society Registration Certificate
o Stamp duty paid and registered agreement copy of 1 individual flats/ shops with Builder/Developer
o List of members in prescribed format
o Index-II for each member as issued by the Sub-Registrar of Assurance
o Copy of the Development Agreement between land owner and builder
o Copy of the Power of Attorney between land owner and builder
o Copy of the legal notice issued to the original owner or developer for doing conveyance
o Details of corresponding address telephone number etc. of the original owner or developer
o Draft conveyance deed/ Declaration proposed to be executed in favour of the applicant

Documents to be obtained from City Survey Office, for submission:
o City (CTS) Survey plan
o Property Registration Card or
o 7/12 extract of the land
o Village form 6 (Mutation entries from Revenue Office)

Documents to be obtained from the Collector’s Office, for submission:
o Copy of the Non-Agricultural Order
o Certificate of the exclusion from Land Ceiling Act (ULC) Certificate

Documents to be obtained from the concerned Municipal Authority Office, for submission:
o Copy of the approved plan
o Commencement Certificate
o Building Completion certificate
o Occupation Certificate (not compulsory)
o Property taxes paid
o Location plan of the building

Documents to be obtained from other professionals, for submission:
o Search Report of the land issued by the Solicitor/Advocate
o Title Certificate of the Property issued by the Solicitor/Advocate (Search by minimum for last 30 years)
o Land Measurement Map/ Architect’s Certificate (layout plan of the plot)
o Certified copy from Panel Architect about the utilization of full FSI or FSI if any left in respect of the said property /Plot.
After, the Application is heard by the Registrar he may grant an order for deemed conveyance which shall then be produced before a court for execution and hence the conveyance may be done by a court order.

By |October 31st, 2018|Uncategorized|0 Comments


Even though you have purchased ownership flat, you are not the owner of the land and building. 2. In the event of a building collapse or damage to the building, you cannot reconstruct the building without the permission of the Builder / Land owner.
1. The Builder/Developer may mortgage the property purchased by you as he is the legal owner and holding the Title Deeds of the Property.
2. The Builder/Developer may tap the benefits in case the building is later taken up for redevelopment or if the plot has some unutilized floor space index.
3. The Builder may make profit by sale of open spaces, gardens, terrace, parking space belonging to the Society.
4. The Builder may demand a huge amount from the Society, if Conveyance is sought by the Society after a lapse of many years.
5. The Builder may sell the entire Development Rights and the Legal Rights on the land to third party and create a third party interest in the Property and the Society will have to incur a huge amount to clear the same.

By |October 31st, 2018|Uncategorized|0 Comments


1. Getting a proper and legal title in the name of the Society.
2. Retaining the additional FSI as per the Government announcements.
3. Property will be free and marketable.
4. Society can raise the loans for repairs and reconstruction by mortgage.
5. Permission from planning authorities is possible if the building has to be reconstructed at a later date due to dilapidation of the structure due to age or by earthquake.
6. Society can take the benefit of TDR.
7. Members can receive compensation from Builder on redevelopment of the building.

By |October 31st, 2018|Uncategorized|0 Comments


As per the Housing Society bye-laws, the main objective of formation of the Society is to obtain the Conveyance; and if Conveyance is not given by the Builder within four months from the date of registration of the Society, a case can be filed against the Builder to obtain the Conveyance. As per Section 13 of Maharashtra Ownership Flats Act, 1963, failure to give Conveyance is an offence and the Builder can be imprisoned up to 3 years or fined or both.



In a situation when a promoter or owner of residential premises/ buildings does not transfer/convey the ownership of the flats to the housing society or association of persons (AOP), the society or AOP can make an application to Registrar of Co-operative Housing Societies, to transfer the ownership of the said flats to them. This process is carried on through Deemed Conveyance of the title of the buildings and land in favour of the Society or AOP without the need of the builder to do so.

By |October 31st, 2018|NEED FOR DEEMED CONVEYANCE|0 Comments


A deemed conveyance means when the builder/ promoter/ developer of the project refuses to sign the conveyance deed the court can sign the same on behalf of the builder and record the same in the government records.

By |October 31st, 2018|MEANING OF DEEMED CONVEYANCE|0 Comments



During the handover procedure it is important to record and file all details related to the process so that even if problems arise years later, all you need to do is look through this set of records and, accordingly, figure out what to do next.

The builder-residents society handover procedure needs to be structured, but that’s not where the process ends. There are a few things you should remember to check even after the builder hands over your society.

1)Make sure all society related issues are recorded and filed: All defects that you find should be typed as a letter with a signed acknowledgement of the same from the builder, so he is obligated to fix them. All important e-mails should be printed and kept safely for future references.

2)Make sure you make good use of the builder provided warranty period: Builders generally offer a warranty period within which defects are to be pointed out and duly fixed.

3)Form a team of volunteers to check and cross check all formalities are done correctly: Apart from the Management Committee, it is recommended that you bring together a group of residents to volunteer in making sure all necessary documents have been collected and all required formalities have been done. (To learn what documents you need during society handover, read ‘Keep a Check on These When Builder Hands Over Your Housing Society’)

4)Get a community management software to help you keep a permanent track of records: Getting a society management portal will prove significantly helpful in the overall management of your community activities in the long run.

(For example: Common Floor Groups portal. With its many features such as Discussion, Complaints, My Dues, Issue Tracker, Documents repository this portal will serve as a platform to execute and manage community related activities effectively.)

5)Keep originals safely and copies separately with the Committee President: Make sure you keep originals of documents at a safe place such as the Association office and their copies with the Committee President which, when his tenure ends, are passed on to his successor.

6)Make sure you have all documents mentioned on the ‘Handover’ Checklist: Double check that you have all documents mentioned on the handover checklist in ‘Keep a Check on These When Builder Hands Over Your Housing Society’.




Though the condominium is more than a forty year old ownership concept for buildings in Mumbai, it is the cooperative society model which has been the most popular so far. However, in recent times, the concept of a condominium is slowly gaining momentum. Buyers who purchase premises on an ‘ownership’ basis require to come together to manage the building and for that purpose, one of the ways is to form a cooperative society, which is governed by the Maharashtra Cooperative Societies Act, 1960.

An alternative to a cooperative society was introduced by the Maharashtra Apartment Ownership Act, 1970, which provides for the formation of a condominium. The buyers of premises in a condominium are called apartment owners who form an association known as an ‘association of apartment owners’, in case of both, residential as well as non-residential premises.

Although the basic purpose of both the models is similar, there are many differences between a society and condominium, some of which are:

FORMATION: To form a society, generally 10 persons, each from a different family who reside in the area of operation of the society (within the same city) and who have taken premises in the building, would be required. However, even one person who owns the entire building can form a condominium provided there are at least five apartments in the building.

OWNERSHIP: In the case of a society, the title of the land and the building is conveyed to the society, which becomes the owner thereof. Persons who have purchased premises are made members of the society and are allotted the particular premises. In the case of a condominium, the title of each apartment rests with the apartment owner, who also has a proportionate undivided interest in the land on which the building stands, the common areas and facilities of the building.

BY-LAWS: A society adopts the model bylaws in which little can be changed. While adopting the bylaws in a condominium, suitable changes can be made, so long as the provisions of the Act are not contravened.

SHARE CERTIFICATE: A society issues certain shares to its members, as per the bylaws and the share certificate becomes an important title deed, since the allotment of the premises are related thereto. This is not so in a condominium.

MANAGEMENT: The affairs of the society are managed by the managing committee, which is elected by the members of the society. The managing committee elects a chairman, secretary and a treasurer. Similarly, the affairs of a condominium are managed by the board of managers, who are elected by the members of the apartment owners association. The board also elects a president, vice-president, secretary and a treasurer.

TRANSFER FEES: Under the model bylaws, a society can charge only Rs 500 as transfer fees and a maximum of Rs 25,000 as a premium. In case of a condominium, the bylaws can be more flexible and the amount of transfer fees can be provided therein.

PERMISSION TO LET: In a condominium, the owner can give his apartment on lease or leave and license basis without the approval of the board of managers, while in a society, permission is required.

VOTING RIGHTS: In a society, every member has one vote, irrespective of the area of his premises. In a condominium, every apartment owner has a voting right in proportion to the value of his premises, which is generally as per the area of the apartment owned by him and which is defined while forming the condominium.
DISPUTES: In a society, disputes are generally referred to the registrar appointed under the Act or to a cooperative court, depending on the nature of the dispute. In the case of a condominium, the court having jurisdiction over the area in which the condominium is located, hears the disputes.

EXPULSION: A society can expel its member under certain extreme circumstances. In case of a condominium, there is no such provision. However, if an apartment owner fails to comply with the bylaws or the rules and regulations, either damages or injunctive relief or both can be claimed against him.

NOMINATION: In a society, a member can nominate a person in whose favour shares of the society should be transferred upon the member’s death. No such facility is available in a condominium. An apartment can be transferred to a person to whom the apartment owner bequeaths the same by his will or to the legal representative of the apartment owner’s estate



After the above mentioned conditions are fulfilled, the following steps shall be taken:
Write a letter /email to builder/ promoter requesting him to provide a draft of the SALE DEED/ CONVEYANCE DEED or providing the draft to him and requesting him to sign the same.
• If the Builder rejects or postpones the same, send him a legal notice through an advocate requesting for the same.
• Even then if the builder refuses, File an application with the Registrar of Co-operative Societies together with all the relevant documents and 2000 Rs. Court stamp fees.
• Self-attestation all the copies enclosed (by the society)
• The Competent Authority will assess the application and if any documents are missing he will ask the applicant to correct the mistake within fifteen days.
• Thereafter, notice would be sent to the promoter and the land owners.
• After receipt of the notice by the land owners and the promoters, the authority will hear both parties in the first hearing and ask both parties to produce further evidences in next hearing.
• Thereafter, second hearing would be held and if the builder or landowners do not attend both first and second hearing then the authority will pass an exparte order.
• Thereafter, the third and final hearing would be held and the authority would be held and order would be passed unless a legal question is raised.
• Normally the whole process is completed within a period of 6 months.

Lawyers for Deemed Conveyance Process in Pune

Most of the flat-owners of the newly constructed Societies/apartments do not have their sale deeds or conveyance deeds. Mostly in the newly constructed buildings, the builders provide for forming a housing co-operative society to which they shall transfer their interest in the property. Then the builders form the society but do not transfer the title of the property (read ownership) to the flat-owners or the society till he has transferred all the rights in the building/ Societies/apartments. Thus the builders/promoters are benefiting from the buyers lack of awareness and information.
To curb this practice, amendments were carried out in the Maharashtra Ownership Flats Act, 1963, in 2008 to appoint a Competent Authority (Registrar of Co-operative Housing Societies) to hear the grievances of such Societies/apartments owners and to safeguard their interest by executing deemed conveyance of such societies u/s 11(3) of Maharashtra Ownership Flats Act, 1963.
Ved Legal is having enough experience to deal with these kinds of Deemed Conveyance of Co-operative Housing Societies, in and around pune. Any aggrieved society or apartment holder can get resolution from us in regards of the same.

By |October 29th, 2018|Uncategorized|0 Comments