PROCEDURE FOLLOWED FOR ADOPTION OF A CHILD
- Prospective parents register online or can reach District Child Protection Officer (DCPO) to register the prospective parents online.
- The adoption agency prepares a Home Study report describing the various factors and circumstances of the family within one month of the registration.
- The home study report shall be posted on the database by the adoption agency.
- The parents are given chance to choose their prospective child based on their preferences.
- They are shown photographs, child study reports and medical examination reports of up to six children.
- The prospective adoptive parents may reserve one child within a period of forty eight hours for possible adoption and the rest of the children would be released for other prospective parents.
- The adoption agency will fix the meeting of the prospective adoptive parents to access whether they are suitable parents or not. The parents should also be allowed to have a meeting with the child.
- The entire process of matching should not take more than fifteen days.
- While accepting the child the prospective adoptive parents should sign the Child Study Report in presence of social worker.
- If prospective parent do not accept the child or the child do not accept the parent then same procedure will be followed for other chances.
PRE-ADOPTION FOSTER CARE
When the prospective adoptive parent accepts a child and signs on the acceptance form, he is given for foster care within 10 days of adoption.
- The specialised agency shall then file an adoption petition in the court having jurisdiction within 7 days of the acceptance.
- The Court shall then hold the in-camera proceedings and dispose the case within 2 months.
- The court provides for a certified copy of adoption and the same shall be forwarded by the adoption agency within 10 days.
- After receipt of the order, the prospective adoptive parent becomes the legal parents of the child.
- Constant follow up is required by the specialised adoption agency.
FOR MORE DETAILS CALL:
Adv. Gajanan Rahate
E_mail: [email protected]