The date of handover from builder to the registered owners association is an important day for new apartment owners and all residents. It has to be taken seriously and detailed due diligence must be done when interacting with the builders during this handover process. Once the formal handover to the Owners Association is completed, the onus is on the association to run the affairs of the society and to ensure its smooth functioning. The association must be prepared for this day for 3+ months leading to this event.

It is recommended that owners collaboratively engage with the builder right from late construction stages that will help them to take-up this responsibility in future. The builders can also reach out to representatives from the owners group to assist in the selection of maintenance agency which prepares them for the handover process.

Based on our experience in interacting with various builders and associations, we have collated a check list that associations can use when in dialogue with the builder on the handover process:
1. Get approved building plan which includes block-wise and floor-wise details
2. Collect the Completion Certificate which ensures adherence of the approved plan
3. No Objection certificates from pollution, fire, water and electricity authorities
4. Hard copy and soft copy (in CD) of all approved engineering drawings; look for approval seal on the drawings
5. Registration and parent documents
6. Drainage, sewage, Fire protection and common area power layout drawings
7. Car parking layout drawings (with numbering)
8. Asset Inventory of all movable and immovable equipment purchased; numbered in order (list needs to be exhaustive)
9. Record of recent service history on key equipment’s like lifts, DG sets, STP and WTP
10.AMC and warranty details; Original bills of equipment purchased (motors, Sewage and Water Treatment Plant, Generators, Gym items like treadmill)
11.Lift license details and next renewal date
12.STP/WTP vendor details, plant layout, operation manual and drawings
13.Receipts of property, electricity and water payments paid
14.Handover of corpus amount to the association
15.Share recent expenses incurred on various maintenance activities and account heads; will assist to budget coming year (staff salaries, purchase of cleaning material, swimming pool maintenance etc)
16.Contract signed with maintenance agency; agreed SLAs
17.Insurance taken for assets and third party lift insurance
18.Audited account statement at the time of handover
19. Arrange for introductory meeting with important suppliers and vendors

Forming a legal society is of utmost importance. It helps society owners to reap unlimited benefits and maintain smooth functioning. It is mandatory for developers to create societies and provide a final handover to the owners. However, many developers do not comply with these procedures and hence flat owners lose that added benefit that a legal society enjoys.

We, the “VED LEGAL” provide registration and formation services which help you at every step of society formation, right from inception to final handover. We look after all the legal complications involved in society formation and carry out necessary negotiations with developers.
We have also completed the registration process for various projects. We specialize in society formation of housing societies, commercial societies, maintenance societies and large townships. We help developers and societies with complex registration process during society mergers, society split, and federation registrations.

Our specialized services include:
Initial screening
Gap identification and ratification
Process documentation and finalization
Dispute resolution
Society name reservation at respective co-operative departments
Account formation and legal documentation

60 % of the Promoters are must be ready to form Co-op. Housing Society.
If flats are sold as per the Maharashtra Ownership Flats Act,1963 [MOFA] then it is the duty of the Builder / Developer to form society and hand over the Account + Documents to Provisional Working Committee [PWC] In this case the builder become CP and other flat owners become Promoters for Registration purpose. This society registers under Co-operation.

When the builder is not registering society due to some reasons or not support to registered society then flat purchasers can apply for registration of Co-operative Housing Society under Non Co-operation. In this case one of the flat owners should be elected as CP for Registration purpose. In this case some more time is taken to registered society as registrar is issue notice to builder for Non Co-operation. If no response then ex-party decision are taken for registration of the society. Now all the case of Non Co-operation Registration decisions is given by District Deputy Registrar [DDR] then society is registered

All flat owners should hold meeting and elect Promoter. All power for Registrations, documentation etc. should be given to promoter. The resolution should be passed and must be sign by all flat owners who wish to become member of the Co-operative Housing Society
Appoint Consultant / Legal Advocate for registration and ask him to comply all requirements. All members together also can do work for registration.
For registration of Co-op. Hsg. Society the following documents should be filed to Dy. Registrar / Asst. Registrar of Co-operative Department area concern in order as follow
Applications for Name to be reserved for Proposed Society’s
Form of resolution electing a CP and Promoter and giving them authority for doing certain acts on behalf of the proposed society
Application form “A” 4 copies
Information in Annexture ” A ” ” B ” ” C ” 4 copies
Bye-Law of the Society 2 copies
Details of Accounts Annexture ” D ” 2 copies
Bank Balance Certificate in Original 1 copy in Original
Agreement of Flat 1 copy
Advocate Search Report 2 copy [Title Certificate]
Society’s Building Plan 2 copies
Lay Out Plan 2 copies
Sanction Plan from Authority 2 copies
O.C / C.C copy 2 copies
Promoter’s Guarantee in form ” X ” On Rs. 100/- Stamp paper & notarized 1 copy
Guarantee in form” Y ” On Rs. 100/- Stamp paper & notarized 1 copy
Guarantee in form ” Z ” On Rs. 100/- Stamp paper & notarized 1 copies
7/12 or City Survey Revenue Record of Land [not more than 1 month old] 1 copy
Promoters Affidavit On Rs. 100/- Stamp paper & notarized 1 copy
Indemnity Bond On Rs. 100/- Stamp paper & notarized 1 copy
NA Certificate / ULC 2 copy
Plot area Land Map 2 copies
Registration Fee Challan for Rs.2500 1 copy original
Builder Non Co-operation form Z On Rs. 100/- Stamp paper & notarized if required 1 copy
CP Affidavit for Child Labour on Rs. 100/- Stamp paper & notarized 1copy

All this forms are available at your District Co-operative Housing Society Federation.
On submission of above document the Dy./Asst. Registrar will go through the papers And document. If found OK he will make order for issue of Registration Certificate.

If any deficiencies are found then the applicant will be inform accordingly and documents will be corrected wherever necessary. When all papers are in order, he will issue order for issue of Registration Certificate.

Registration Certificate is issued with covering letter and Officer’s name is mentioned who will attend First General Meeting. Normally the Officer concern is not attending meeting. In absence , all member has to hold meeting and has to elect Provisional Working Committee [PWC] whose working period will be ONE Year. After electing PWC the member of PWC has to submitted the M-20 bond on Rs. 100/- stamp paper with the sign of Officer’s whose name is in Covering latter to Dy./Asst. Registrar. All Rule and Regulations ,resolution and minutes which is written in AGM Register must be sign by Officer’s name is mentioned in covering letter it is the most important step.[Many society forget this which create problem latter] After First Annual General Meeting PWC is replaced with new Working Committee [WC] whose working period will be FIVE Year.The new WC election can conduct before PWC time over with proper election process. WC also has to submitted the M-20 bond on Rs. 100/- stamp paper with the sign of election officer to Dy./Asst. Registrar

When application for Name reservation of Society has given, the Dy./Asst. Registrar give instruction to Open Bank Account in Dist. Central Co-op. Bank The Account has to opened in the name of CP And deposit all money of Share Capital Contribution [per member Share Money is Rs. 50*10 = Rs. 500 i.e. 10 share of 50 rupees each] and Member ship Fees of Rs. 100/- i.e. Per member you have to deposit Rs. 600/- in bank and obtain Bank Balance Certificate and submitted it to Dy./Asst. Registrar. After First Annual General Body Meeting the Bank Account has to transfer in the name of Society. For bank Account operation Chairman sign must and either Secretary and Treasurer. Expenditure has to be made as per provision of Bye-Laws. Bank and Cash Transaction [Collection and Payment are handled by Treasure when Billing Clerk or Accountant are not been kept.

Putting a board displaying name of the society, full address with registered survey No. and Registration No. near the main gate of the society which could be seen easily.
To raise funds for the society.
Recommend to the society for deciding maintenance fee, repair and deposit amount.
To give membership, pass the resignation of members similarly to take decision regarding nomination of the members.
Internal inspection of the flat.
To take decision on the various applications received from the members.
To take action against the defaulting members.
To issue Share Certificate to the members.
To call monthly meeting of the committee and finalize its minutes.
To determine agenda of the annual meeting and to call Annual Meeting in prescribed period.
To organize special general body meeting as required.
To make arrangement of election for the formation of a new committee before expiring the term of the managing committee.
To select office bearers by forming the new committee after election.
After taking charge of the office by the members of the managing committee,it is obligatory on them to execute bond under Section 73(1) (1AB) in M-20 (bond paper of Rs.100/- and each separately on the cost of the society) and to include the same in the record of the society. Similarly, the responsibility to inform the concerned Registrar in the regard is entrusted with Secretary.
It is necessary to take detailed note of taking charge, handover of record with its detailed list of the record received in the minutes of the managing committee meeting. Thereby the record regarding exactly which files received in whose possession and on which date is available with the society permanently.
To fill up the vacant post in the managing committee as per provision in the bye-laws and Rule No. 60(5) of Maharashtra Co-operative Rule 1961.
To accept the resignation of the members of Managing Committee.
To keep neatly the files of members and society records.
To finalize the financial statement of the society within 45 days at the end of the financial year.
To submit society’s record for Audit.
To make available papers mentioned in Section 32 as per members demand.
To take decision as per provisions in by laws and laws on the complaints received from the members.
To give necessary information to the members if he contacted society for selling of the flat and co-operate him for selling as per provisions in by-laws and laws.
To take decision on the applicant regarding letting of the flat and inform the same to the concerned member within prescribed time limit.
To make agreements as necessary on behalf of the society.
To take necessary action for keeping the property of the society in order.
To take insurance policy of the building and property of the society.
To give approval for change in utilization of flat.
To inspect flat of the member internally by taking prior appointment for the purposes of leakage/structural audit etc.
To initiate action as per provision in law if the member makes hindrance in internal inspection.
To sanction the amendments in laws, rules, bye-laws suggested by the government from time to time with the approval of the general body meeting.
It is obligatory on the part of the government to give details of the bill/bifurcation and also as per which resolution/ bye- law if the members demand so.
It is obligatory on the part of the society to accept less amount paid by the member than the amount shown in the bill and it is necessary to give receipt of thereof.
There is a provision in the sub-rule about how much maximum interest to be charged. However, it is necessary to make resolution in the general body meeting about charging interest.
By doing structural audit of the building, necessary repairs should have been carried out with the approval of the general body meeting.
If the society does not have funds and if any member is ready to do leakage work on his own cost, then to form the rules in that regard and take approval of the general body meeting for the same.
To submit the fault rectifying report in ‘O’ form by rectifying the faults in the audit report, within three months to the Auditor and to send its copy to the Registrar.

1. The builder is interested in using the increased FSI which will be awarded by the govt. for that area at any time in future. If the ‘Society’ is formed, then upon the transfer and conveyance of land in favour of the Society, the increased FSI will be owned by the Society and the builder shall not have any right over it. But if it is an Apartment, then the builder owns that increased FSI and can use it anywhere. Thus, the builder will keep taking advantage of every increase in FSI throughout in the future.

2. In an Apartment, the builder retains the ownership of the open spaces which are not included in the saleable area. Example – Terrace or any open parking/stairs space which is not included in the saleable area. But in case of Society, the builder cannot retain any right on any of these areas and has to hand over everything to the Society. The Maharashtra Apartment Ownership Act also provides for the ownership of an individual Apartment in a building and to make such Apartment heritable and transferable property.

3. Bye-laws and Rules of ‘Society’ are binding on all the residents and nobody can act as per his/her whims. Hence, if the Society decides to ban any objectionable commercial activities in the flats such as noise-making music classes or using the flat for catering or courier activities etc or not to rent out to bachelors etc, then all the residents have to abide by it. But if it is an Apartment, then owners can violate the Apartment Rules and the Apartment Body can just file a case in the Civil Court. However, while the Society disputes are resolved in a separate Court i.e. Co-operative Court dealing with Society matters and hence they are fast resolved whereas, the Apartment matters have to be taken to the normal Civil Court and hence they typically take years and decades to resolve.

4. When the building contemplates redevelopment after 25-30 years, the Society’s decision will be final and hence the Society members will have negotiation power with the builder at that time. But if in case of an Apartment, the consent of every Apartment-owner is required and hence it goes into an endless delay due to lack of a common decision acceptable to everybody. There are many instances in Mumbai wherein finally the dilapidated buildings had to be forcefully vacated by an eviction order from Court since they became unlivable. Thus, while the decisions are taken on a ‘majority’ basis in Society, the Apartment goes with rule of ‘Acceptable by Everybody’. So if the builder has retained even one flat in an Apartment, he will play a veto card in his favour at the time of redevelopment.

According to the Law, every Builder / Developer has to form a Housing Co-operative Society with limited options available in this regard to managing the affairs of the building i.e.

(a) Condominium
(b) Private Limited Company and
(c) Co-operative Society, (excluding the unrealistic rental housing),

It wouldn’t be an exaggeration to state that in at least 90% the Promoters and / or the Builders have formed a Housing Co-operative Society.
The basic requirements for a Co-operative Housing Society Registration normally are unknown to the flat/unit purchasers. It is the statutory obligation cast upon the builder, where the builder acts as a friend, philosopher, and guide of the promoters and helps them in forming a Co- operative Housing Society.

There are four types of Housing Co-operative Societies
(a) Open Plot type Societies [Tenant ownership]
(b) Flat Owners Societies [Tenant Co-partnership]
(c) Tenant Societies
(d) Housing Board Societies.

The procedure for Co-operative Housing Society Registration begins with electing a Chief Promoter in a meeting of the Promoters. The builder under the Flat Owners type of co-operative society has the first right to act as the chief promoter. The developer / flat purchasers should call for a meeting of the Promoters by issuing the notice under Agenda of the meeting given at least 14 days notice to the Promoters. In this meeting, a Chief Promoter is elected who can exercise such powers and carry out such functions as are mentioned in the minutes of the Promoters of the proposed Co-operative Society. After electing the Chief Promoter, the proposed name of the society has to be decided by the Promoters. Normally, the name reservation proposal should be accompanied by the signature of at least 10 Promoters who have attended the meeting. It is a common belief that the Society should consist of at least 10 members. If the number is less than 10 then special permission from Government has to be taken. In such cases, the garages/car parking may be allotted to other relatives of the promoter to reach a number of 10.

It would be of interest to note that the model bye-laws define flat as a Flat means a separate set and self-contained set of premises used or intended to be used or intended to be used for residence, or office or showroom, or shop, or godown and includes a garage, or dispensary, or consulting room, or clinic, or flour mill, the premises forming part of a building and includes an apartment. On allotment of name and permission to open a bank account by the Registrar, the Chief Promoter has to collect Share Capital, Entrance Fees from promoters and deposit the same in the branch of the bank permitted by the Registrar. It should be noted that the amount cannot be withdrawn from the Bank till the Society is Registered or its Registration is refused, except with prior written permission of the Registrar. The Chief Promoter should submit Registration Proposal to the Registering Authority within a period of 3 months from the date of issue of Letter of Reservation in the name of the proposed Society.
The documents that need to be submitted to the Registering Authorities for Housing Co-operative Society Registration are as under:
1. Application for registration of Housing Co-operative Society in Form A along with Statement A. Enclosure to application for Registration as per Rule 4(1) of Maharashtra Co-operative Societies Rules, 1961.

2. Information about proposed Housing Co-operative Society in Statement ‘B’ (vide Govt. Circular dated 2-5-1980).
3. Information about promoter members of the proposed Housing Co-operative Society in Statement ‘C’ (vide Govt. Circular dt. 2-5-1980).
4. A Statement of Accounts as per Form D.
5. Model Bye-laws.
6. Bank Balance Certificate.
7. S.B.I. / Treasury Challan for payment of Registration Fee of Rs. 2500
8. Title Clearance Certificate from an Advocate
9. A true copy of the approved Building Plan.
10. Letter of Authority Granting permission to commence construction work/Completion Certificate (if applicable).
11. Affidavit on Rs. 100/- Stamp Paper from at least 10 promoter members to the effect that they are residing in the area of operation of the Society (Proposed), made before a Competent Authority.
12. An affidavit from the Chief Promoter on Stamp Paper of Rs. 100/- executed before the Competent Authority in form ‘Y’.
13. Certified True Copy of an agreement made on Stamp paper and registered between the builder, promoter and purchasers of flat.
14. Where the promoter members are firms/ companies, a letter of authority from such firms/companies authorizing the promoter to sign on behalf of firm / company.
15. In the case of such proposed societies, names of 60% of the flat holders of the total number of flats constructed or proposed to be constructed as per the plan approved, must be included in Statement ‘A’ to be attached to the Registration Proposal. It is the duty of the Registrar to register the society and on registration of the society, it becomes a separate legal entity. Thereafter, the management of the affairs of the society is carried out by the managing committee which is elected by the general body meeting of the society. It may be of interest to note that in a co-operative society the principle is one member one vote. In a co-operative society, the right to be exercised in the general body meeting is a personal right. This is one of the reasons why even a person holding a power of attorney cannot attend the general body meeting of the society. The quantum of the capital being introduced by the member is not of much importance. Preference should be given to the formation of a private limited company if one member proposes to acquire the majority of flats in the building.

During the handover procedure it is important to record and file all details related to the process so that even if problems arise years later, all you need to do is look through this set of records and, accordingly, figure out what to do next.
The builder-residents society handover procedure needs to be structured, but that’s not where the process ends. There are a few things you should remember to check even after the builder hands over your society.

1)Make sure all society related issues are recorded and filed: All defects that you find should be typed as a letter with a signed acknowledgement of the same from the builder, so he is obligated to fix them. All important e-mails should be printed and kept safely for future references.
2)Make sure you make good use of the builder provided warranty period: Builders generally offer a warranty period within which defects are to be pointed out and duly fixed.

3)Form a team of volunteers to check and cross check all formalities are done correctly: Apart from the Management Committee, it is recommended that you bring together a group of residents to volunteer in making sure all necessary documents have been collected and all required formalities have been done. (To learn what documents you need during society handover, read ‘Keep a Check on These When Builder Hands Over Your Housing Society’)
4)Get a community management software to help you keep a permanent track of records: Getting a society management portal will prove significantly helpful in the overall management of your community activities in the long run. (For example: Common Floor Groups portal. With its many features such as Discussion, Complaints, My Dues, Issue Tracker, Documents repository this portal will serve as a platform to execute and manage community related activities effectively.)

5)Keep originals safely and copies separately with the Committee President: Make sure you keep originals of documents at a safe place such as the Association office and their copies with the Committee President which, when his tenure ends, are passed on to his successor.
6)Make sure you have all documents mentioned on the ‘Handover’ Checklist: Double check that you have all documents mentioned on the handover checklist in ‘Keep a Check on These When Builder Hands Over Your Housing Society’.

If builder/promoter procrastinate in registering the Co-operative Housing Society, then in that case, the application for registration of society be submitted in Form 6 (Rule 12) before the authorized officer (District Dy. Registrar in the respective district, who have given power under section 10(1) of the Maharashtra Ownership Flats Act 1963 (For making regulation for encouraging their constructions, their sale, management and transfer).
While submitting the said proposal, following documents are Necessary.
• 7/12 extract of the land or property card.
• Competent Authority Certificate regarding non-Agricultural land.
• Order regarding applicable/non-applicable Land ceiling Act Map of the construction approved by the competent authority.
• Letter of given permission for construction.
• Completion certificate of Construction.
• Development Agreement if the land is taken for development.
• Power of Authority letter of the Land.
• Copy of the Title search Report.
• Agreement copy of the flat purchased.
• Architect certificate regarding construction.
• List of the Members.
• Scheme of the Society.
• Application regarding reservation of Name.
• Minimum 10 Members shall necessary for the registration of the Society.
• Application for registration of Society (A Form)
• Table containing information of the society (B Form)
• Table containing information of the members (C Form)
• Statement of Accounts of the members (D Form)
• Notarised guarantee letter of the chief promoter of society on the stamp paper of Rs. 100/-
• Notarised Indemnity Bond of the members who applied for the registration of society on the stamp paper of Rs. 200/-
• Affidavit of the Members (Minimum 10 promoters’ Affidavit)
• Two copies of bye laws approved by the Commissioner, Co-operation and Registrar, Maharashtra State, Pune.
• Bank balance statement of the promoter members who have deposited Rs.500/- each as a share and admission fee Rs.100/- in District
• Central Co-operative Bank after getting sanction for the reservation of name in district of Rs.2500/- paid as society Registration fee in the Government Treasure.

The proposal submitted after fulfillment of above mentioned documents, the competent authority by taking hearing, issued orders to the concerned officer for registering the society.

The scrutiny of the registration proposal submitted after fulfillment of documents as mentioned above and criterion will be done after taking into consideration the instructions in the circular/ directives regarding registration issued by the Government/ Commissioner, Co-operation. It is obligatory on the concerned Registrar to make registration by considering various provisions in the Act and Rules and instructions given in the circular/ directives.